Moving Across the Country… Jobless

My little family has decided to move to Nashville, Tennessee! This means I’ll be leaving my job of 7 years as a project manager for a small (very small) marketing group. I’m excited for the changes… I’m excited to start over… but, I’m terrified. I don’t have a job yet in Nashville.

WE ARE moving-jobless-LWM copy

Specific reasons why I’m terrified:

Number 1 –  It’s been almost 8 years since I got up at dawn to dress and shower and pack a lunch every day. I’ve been working from home, sleeping in, working at a comfortable pace, often not putting on make-up or bothering to style my hair for YEARS. Not only am I not a morning person, I dont have the wardrobe of an office person. I only have to look professional about 2x a month with my current job. I’m terrified that my house will be a mess and I’ll end up eating take-out pizza every night. (Those of you with children and “real” full-time jobs are probably laughing at me…or rolling your eyes.)

Number 1.5 –  As a WAHM I’ve gotten to spend a lot of time with my son. I’m terrified that if I get a “real” job with a commute, my kiddo will have to adapt to 10 hours a day at daycare instead of the 6 or 7 that he’s been used to. I just don’t know if a big salary is worth putting him in daycare for that long. I do love to work but I don’t know if I have what it takes to “do it all” and I seriously admire those of you that do.

Number 2 –  I don’t know how much money I’ll be making so I don’t know how much we can afford in a living space. I’m going out to Nashville next week to look for a place to live. We’ve decided to rent for a year. We’ll be new to town and Nashville has so many different neighborhoods. However, if I’m only working part-time (as I’d like) we need something small and cheap and I’ve decided, after hours of searching, that it will probably be really small and it probably wont have a dishwasher. But, if I did have a nice, full-time position we might get to rent a house with a guest room, maybe even 2 bathrooms… and, hopefully, a dishwasher! Which is definitely making me reconsider a full-time rather than part-time job.

Number 3 –  I made the mistake of applying for a jobs a few months ago and ended up having to turn down a dream job (planning half marathons) because I wasn’t sure what my move date was. So, now I’m terrified of applying for jobs before I get there because I am still a little gun shy after turning down an awesome job that suited me so well. Now that we have an approximate move date I could start applying but I’m not going to.

The Solution – I’ve decided to ignore these fears and focus on the move. I have files to get in order, a yet-to-be-hired-replacement to train, a house to pack and clean, a cross-country drive to plan, and a new home to decorate. Then, when we get there, I have a toddler to potty-train and a big-boy-bed to transition into. A move + potty-training + a new job = too much at once. My husband has been so supportive of this decision. Neither of us is particularly happy that we’ll be living off of our savings for a while but I’m glad it’s there.

So, wish me luck!

Anyone in Nashville know of any part-time jobs that pay a million dollars a year plus benefits with on-site daycare? (Salary negotiable.) Hook me up!

• You’ll love Nashville. I live here and have worked in marketing for 10 years.

Email me and I can send you a few contacts. :)

All the best!
    Jessica @The Mom Creative recently posted..My 10 Favorite Books with Sarah MarkleyMy Profile

• Monica says:

You are brave Lindsy! I cannot imagine giving up the comfort zone of my job but as many say, high reward doesn’t come with high risk. Good luck!!
    Monica recently posted..Working Mom Weight Loss: Week 1My Profile

• Jessi says:

I think you’ll love Nashville! Be prepared to experience all four seasons in full force, grocery stores to completely run out of milk, bread and eggs when there is even a remote chance for snow, lots of “ya’ll” and strangers holding the door open for each other, fried chicken, good music, the list goes on. I love it here!
    Jessi recently posted..Recipe Review: Black Bean BrowniesMy Profile

• Jo says:

I recently secured working from home with my job. A job I don’t love, but now that I am working at home I can’t imagine searching for something ‘better’ because I love the benefits of working from home. Good luck in finding something that is a good fit for you!
    Twitter: JolizieD

• Suz says:

Best of luck! While scary, it sounds exciting!
    Suz recently posted..Christmas TreeMy Profile
    Twitter: suzstreats

• Jes says:

Lindsy – that is so exciting! I imagine you will land on your feet and think you’re brave for taking the plunge and allowing yourself enough time to get set up and help BB with the adjustment. The best of luck to you, looking forward to reading more about it!
    Jes recently posted..Cooking with KidsMy Profile
    Twitter: jessicapeterson

• Mommy, Esq. says:

I moved with my husband from New England to Texas this past summer. I’m only “partially” employed now. If you are moving to a place with zero support network (as we did) there are a number of challenges to consider. I think it makes sense you are waiting until you are settled – there are things you can’t anticipate until you are there and have toured childcare centers, lined up a million specialists (doctors, dentists). I actually recently blogged about trying to make friends in a new area. It is slow going and a job in its own right. We did buy right off the bat because it is a good way to get integrated (having neighbors, a school bus stop) but if your kids aren’t school age not as big a deal. Good luck and don’t worry if you spend some time resenting your husband – a lot will fall on you by default (and if he’s starting a new job that is stressful too – he’ll need to focus on that). It gets easier after the first 3 months.
    Mommy, Esq. recently posted..Silver and GoldMy Profile