Holidays in the Age of Pinterest

In the age of pinterest, blogging & Facebook bragging, it’s easy to get caught up in the holiday crafting spirit. And as a working mom of two 10 month olds, by caught up I mean left feeling pressured & overwhelmed. And guilty.

I haven’t made time to be crafty in years & haven’t had time in the past year. Maybe it’s just me. Maybe it’s a new mom thing. Maybe it’s a working mom thing. Maybe it’s a multiples mom thing.

But all I know is that now somehow I’m supposed to turn into super mom that can whip up perfect DIY holiday creations in our spare time.

Or not.

That super cute ‘mistletoes’ plate I pinned & dreamed of doing & giving to Zach & Lucy’s grandparents for Christmas wasn’t done. Heck, I didn’t even make it to Michael’s to try to find supplies.

January flew by & I learned at 5 pm on 2/13 that their class was exchanging Valentine’s Day cards. So instead of precious photos with lollipops or stickers or mum mums, Zach & Lucy’s classmates got $2 clearance animal cards. And there were enough leftover that I can probably use them next year too. {Their teachers did get munchkins for taking great care of our munchkins. Thanks to Brandy’s idea.}

St Patrick’s day baby feet turned into four-leaf clovers? Nope. Green food all day? No. A leprechaun bringing gifts? Hell no. I did manage to dress them in green both that Friday for school & Sunday while we ran errands. I’m calling that good for this year. {See Kristen from Rage Against the Minivan’s thoughts on holidays too. I’m not alone with these thoughts.}

So we’re at Easter, the babies last ‘first’ holiday. And I’m still not crafty. Still a pinterest craft virgin. But I did manage to order monogrammed tiny totes from 31 & make a Target run to get baby treats like swim diapers, sippy cups & books.

Maybe this summer or for their birthday I’ll buy paint & construction paper. Maybe. In my spare time.

For now, I’ll stick to feeding, loving & snuggling my babies while also keeping a job. And I’ll leave the crafting to other moms {hats off to y’all!} & daycare. I owe a big shout out & thank you to our awesome daycare which is crafty.

Easter Daycare

They somehow manage to wrangle 10 mobile babies & create hatching eggs & feet/hand flowers for the door. I saw bunnies yesterday with baby feet hair bows & bow ties. How convenient & cute, right?

Totally with you. I’ve cut back on the crafting…. though there’s always a project in the back of my mind. My fave crafts are the ones I help the kids make. And they are SO simple it’s an exaggeration to call them ‘crafts.’ Paint. Paper. Some kind of design. They sign their name. DONE! ha ha ha

• I’ve never been particularly craft-y, but I do have a few things I want to make. I’ve wanted to make them for years, and some day I will. In the meantime, I remind myself that my mother wasn’t craft-y, either, and I never thought anything was missing.
    Tragic Sandwich recently posted..Mawwiage is What Bwings Us Together TodayMy Profile
    Twitter: tragicsandwich

• HeatherK says:

I believe the sole purpose of pinterest is to make people feel sh*tty about themselves. I refuse to have an account, and even looking at mason jars makes me squirm. Do not feel bad because you aren’t “crafting” with your kids! Do what makes them AND you happy! My kids absolutely hate it when I sit them down and make birthday or holiday cards, and believe me: we do the BARE minimum! I don’t even own paint, glitter, or markers. My kids would much rather be playing with their toys or running around outside. I refuse to believe that the only way I am a good mom is by make some crap I saw on pinterest, that would just get thrown away in my house. I would rather have the memories of playing babies with my daughter, trains with my son, or chasing them around the house with tickle fingers. They can do crafts at daycare and school, that is what those places are for! Now if you have an artsy child or something: more power to you! Craft away!

• Suzanne says:

Ha! Yes! It is very easy to get caught up & overwhemed by the fashion/make up/home/meals/party plans/ALL THE THINGS on Pinterest. Not just crafting & holidays. I do occasionally get recipe ideas from there & do keep the app on my phone. But many more pressing things {hello babies!} get my attention over Pinterest these days. And I’m totally fine with that. Thanks for your comment & confirmation that us no crafters are still cool! :)
      Twitter: suzstreats

• cayley rice says:

I love arts and crafts and always want to do stuff with my daughter. We did made Valentine’s cards together (which I cut out and later finished myself) and she was one of 2, out of 24, with homemade cards. I also count cooking and baking as crafts. I also count remembering to take pictures every few months, so one day every couple years I can stay up all night finishing a photo book before my shutterfly coupon expires. This Easter we went shopping for a floofy Easter dress, which I will duly help her get into on Easter while potentially even putting on lipstick (on me). That totally counts as crafts. Laundry and picking up are kinda crafty, too, right? I mean, if I count baking I should count laundry. My point is that that even though I love arts and crafts, and love having a little kid who’s excited about it, no sane working parent gets past the trip to Michael’s for supplies step more than a few times a year (sadly I do make it to this step more often, with the best intentions, and have a few shelves in the garage of supplies to prove it).

• Suzanne says:

Oh yes, I can’t wait to begin to have Lucy & Zach help me in the kitchen. Cooking with my mom & grandmother is still one of my favorite things {I’m looking forward to being in the kitchen with them this weekend as a matter of fact}! I love holidays & love decorations. and yes, I have closets full of to-be crafted/scrapbooked materials to prove it! :)
      Suzanne recently posted..Zach’s Weight Check UpdateMy Profile
      Twitter: suzstreats

• Jamie says:

I have to admit that I’m a Pinterest lover. I enjoy it and love the ideas I find — no, they definitely don’t all get done — but a few do here and there — and I enjoy it. Some of my favorite decorations in my house were inspired by Pinterest.

I think the key is to only do what you want to do and to do it when you have time. Don’t make it all something you “have” to do. If you don’t want to do it — don’t!

Now that my trio is older (twins are 3.5/ Bo is 5) I turn to Pinterest on days when we are home and looking for something to keep us entertained. I created a board for snow days that we used just a few weeks ago. I tried a mural on the wall while I was on a conference call. They start spring break here in about 20 minutes — and I’m sure at least a few times over break I’ll be turning to Pinterest for an activity, coloring page, or recipe to help me keep them entertained without losing my mind. With 10 month olds, that isn’t really a big issue yet — but as they get older, entertainment becomes more essential. And my three will only play Play-Doh for so long!
    Jamie recently posted..Finish this sentence…My Profile

• Brandy says:

My new motto “do it for you”. When I have the energy and time, I like to craft. It is theraputic to me. Not to show anyone but to make an activity for me and Landon to do together that doesn’t result in thrown trains and screaming. My craft a day book has been the best gift Kevin gave me. While Ollie napped one afternoon, I got out colored paper and traced eggs on them. Landon colored them and then I cut them out. That night, I used a staple ripper and fishing line and made them into a garland for the mantle held up with scotch tape. Stupid Macgyver stuff but L was SO excited the next morning. So activity, decoration and joy all for the cost of a few pieces of paper. We were all happy. It wasn’t a big time suck. Just enough to make it fun without a pain. So I feel you. I didn’t fake a leprechaun visit and Landon has no idea what an easter bunny is…and I am fine with that. These holidays need to be more personal and less showmanship. But also we don’t want to create a HATE ALL THE CRAFTERS battle cry either. It just doesn’t need to be for everyone.
    Brandy recently posted..My Found MirenaMy Profile

• Suzanne says:

Love the ‘do it for you’ idea! And I really hope this post doesn’t come across as a HATE ALL THE CRAFTERS! Should be more of a jealous of all the crafters! I’d love their {your!} time, energy & talent for creating with little kiddos on a budget & time crunch.

I love the idea of coloring paper eggs turned suprise garland! I’m sure Landon was thrilled. That’d thrill me too. I’m hoping one day I get there.
      Suzanne recently posted..Zach’s Weight Check UpdateMy Profile
      Twitter: suzstreats

• Brandy says:

Oh no it didn’t. Just with the Rage against the Mini Van and 14000 FB image shares along these lines, just felt like playing devil’s advocate. It isn’t for everyone…totally get it. I just don’t want to be lumped into a category of moms who are up to their eyeballs trying to outdue someone else. I’m lucky to make dinner 3 times a week.
        Brandy recently posted..My Found MirenaMy Profile

• Meredith says:

Love it. I’m with you. I see the ideas, like the ideas but no time for the ideas.

YES. YES. YES.

YESYESYESYESYES.

Thank God there’s someone else like me.
    Shannon recently posted..Honestly, The Happiest Place on Earth?My Profile