The Best Part of a Working Mom’s Day

The alarm goes off at the same time every day. If you’re like me, you hit the snooze button at the same time every day, too. That way, you start a trend of tardiness. But since I’m at work by the same time every day, can we call it on time?

Anyway, many of us working moms follow routines. We live by them. We wake a certain times, wake our kids at certain times (or, they wake us), we work specific hours, we may stop for the same coffee at Starbucks on the way (not me… coffee is icky), we probably have the same lunch hour each day (mine is at 10:30, seriously?!), we face the same co-workers, similar tasks, and then, we end our days to start them over 12 hours later. Some of us might commute, and take that time to breathe deeply and recover from a tiring workday. Some of us might hit the gym on the way home (now we’re dreaming, right?) or pick up groceries for dinner. Either way, many of us end our “working mom” days the same way: picking up kids.

My son is with my mother-in-law for eight hours a day while I work. I always feared he would have this incredibly tight bond with his Abuela and that I would be competing with her for his affection. But this week, when I experienced what I call the best part of a working mom’s day, I realized my fears have been laid to rest.

My son is a momma’s boy, tried and true. The best part of my day is when I park my car in my mother-in-law’s driveway and get out to walk to the front door. Inside, is a little toddling one-year-old who somehow knows the time of day and begins saying “Momma, momma, momma” over and over again around 2:30—just a half hour before I usually come to pick him up. I can hear the “Momma, momma, momma” from outside in the driveway, and every bit of my workday melts away when I open the screen door and hear him coming. Every stress and every paper to be graded is forgotten when my mother-in-law turns the knob and my little boy lays eyes on his momma.

“Momma!” he yells, and he grabs me around the neck and gives me the best kind of eat-your-face open-mouthed kiss. Yesterday, he put his head on my shoulder and just stayed there. Dude. How many times can you melt my heart? It’s gone.

My mother-in-law looked at him with his head on my shoulder, and said a phrase I asked my husband about later: amores que matan. Love that kills.

My son has a love that kills for me. He is with his Abuela all day every day, and he loves her, but his love for his momma, nothing can touch.

And that feeling, my friends, is the absolute best part of a working mom’s day.

Shannon is a graduate of University of South Florida, a high school English teacher, and an aspiring author. In April 2011, she and her husband met the love of their lives: a son named William. Shannon is currently learning to balance teaching 115 teenagers and being William’s mommy. You can find her blogging at Momma Bird and tweeting as @bluebird_momma.

1. Candice says:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I also pick up my son from my MIL and his happiness at seeing me is easily the best part of my day.
    Twitter: Bookishpenguin

2. Love this post. It truly is the best part of a working mom’s day.
    The Working Momaholic recently posted..X is for XanaduMy Profile

3. Naomi says:

I love this! It’s so true, even for a foster mom like me. Even though they aren’t my flesh and blood, you grow an instant attachment to them and them to you! Their faces light up with smiles when I pick them up and I realize why me and my husband do this. It instantly makes the stresses of the “system” seem non-exsistent.
    Twitter: Naomishari

I think that for your foster children, they know you chose to welcome them into your home, and they love you with a deep love because you take care of them even though they’re not your flesh and blood. The love between foster parents/children and adoptive parents/children is a special one.
      Shannon recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Puerto Rican Baby ClothesMy Profile

4. Melissa says:

Love this! I feel the same way. My kids are in daycare (3.5yo and 3.5 mo) but it is still the same feeling. Oh and I think my boss realizes that I’m not ever “late” either. :) yay for a boss who has 4 kids and a wife who works part time at the kids school! LOL
    Twitter: melissamott

Oh, it is the same feeling whether it is home care, daycare, family care, etc. Their reactions when you show up make such a difference! You know, my boss doesn’t have kids, but she is VERY understanding and supportive of men and women who do. It’s definitely a blessing to have that support system.

5. Barbra says:

Beautiful. This is the best part of my day. You told the story perfectly. My son’s sitter is the facilitator of a new mom support group and she uses my son as an example of a baby’s love for his mama. She is able to ease the anxiety for new moms heading back to work by showing them and explaining that while she is a good enough substitute during the day, nothing and no one can replace his mama.
    Barbra recently posted..HUGE Breakthrough!!!!My Profile
    Twitter: barbrabaker

6. So, so true! Baguette does the same thing where she’ll just lay her head on my shoulder and lie there, like now that she’s with mommy she can finally relax for a moment. No matter what happened before that, my day is instantly magical.
    Tragic Sandwich recently posted..Traditions: Chinese FoodMy Profile
    Twitter: tragicsandwich

7. Brandy says:

Thanks for this reminder. I am getting ready to go get my munchkin. Imma try and get it on video the shaking and screaming MOMMY DADDY!!!! MOMMY DADDY!! Priceless
    Brandy recently posted..Sex, Love and BondingMy Profile

8. Shannon says:

I want to see that video!!!

9. Olusola says:

True post, no matter how tired I am at the end of the day, the running hugs more than make up for it
    Olusola recently posted..Red Lentils – Veggie of the MonthMy Profile

10. Stacey says:

Soooo true!!! I have three little ones and when I pick them up at daycare they come running and screaming (literally) “Mommy!!!” I forget all about work or any other stressor that was on my mind. Thanks for putting this into words.
    Stacey recently posted..Monsters, Dinosaurs and Coyotes… Oh My!My Profile

11. Rosanne says:

Shannon, I think you’ll love “And I Thought About You” a picture about a similar welcome home routine described in your blog post. Would love to know what you think.
    Twitter: Rlkurstedt