By Krista Contributor
I’m traveling again. For the third time in two months, I’m packing a bag, kissing my kids and husband goodbye and driving four hours to Philadelphia. I’ll get to the hotel, call and check in as I unpack and realize that (even though I always over-pack) I’ve forgotten something. Like nylons - or pantyhose, what do we call them these days? And does anyone other than me still wear them?
When deciding what to pack, a few things are of vital importance to me:
1. I have to look nice and professional. Our corporate culture is business casual, but these are also people I don’t work with on a day to day basis. So making a good impression is important.
2. I have to be comfortable. I travel on two work days. So I have to dress in clothes that are comfortable enough to wear in the car and won’t leave me looking like I wrestled a Saint Bernard.
3. It can’t include suit jackets. Most of these meetings and work days include meeting and working with people who outrank me – by a lot. And making a good impression is important. But guys? I hate suits jackets. Hate them with a fiery passion.
4. It all has to fit in one piece of luggage. I have laptop bag, a big handbag and no hands leftover for more than one piece of luggage. This rule means that I usually limit the number of shoes that I bring and I’m honest with myself about whether I will actually work out. (I won’t. So that eliminates the need for workout clothes and tennis shoes.)
So, with that, I give you this week’s wardrobe.
1. Grey sweater dress: The Limited. Love this. It’s comfortable, it’s flattering. With a silver necklace and black pumps, it’s simple but classy, I think. Yes?
2. Off-white cable sweater: Old Navy. It’s so warm and cozy. I know I need the jewelry to dress it up a bit, but it’s one of my favorite wear-to-the-office shirts.
3. Grey pants: The Dress Barn.
4. Pink sweater: B. Moss (a long time ago). This is my answer to not wanting to wear a jacket. Because this outfit includes a white blouse, it’s not the outfit I wear while traveling.
5. Black pencil skirt: No idea where this came from. You’ve all got one, I bet.
The best part is I can wear both the dress and the sweater and pants with these kick ass new pumps I snagged on sale from Nine West a few weeks ago. They’re not broken in enough that I should be wearing them while walking city blocks, but what the hell! The jewelry below is from Kohl’s and I love the way it adds a little color to my mostly neutral wardrobe.
Do you travel much? What are your must haves when traveling? Do you have any tips for making dressing while on the road easier? Oh! And I’m in need of new luggage. What’s your favorite?
We can’t wait to see your Working With Style posts. Make sure to link the specific URL for the post, and snag the badge to place on your post and help spread the word about Working With Style over on LWM. And you know, you can always tweet this to pass on the Working With Style love:
I just linked up with @notmommyofyear over on @LiberatingWM to show off #WorkingWithStyle this week! Come check it out! http://bit.ly/uCKGSX